Alleviate the Damage of Dry Mouth
Dry mouth, a medical condition known as xerostomia, doesn’t sound like a big deal. After all, everyone gets a little parched occasionally. But chronic dry mouth is a serious issue that can negatively impact oral health. If you live in Scottsbluff NE or a nearby community and want to relieve the damaging effects of dry mouth, visit the dental office of Dr. Gary Cheloha. He’ll provide personalized attention and customized care to improve your oral and overall wellbeing.
The symptoms of dry mouth include a chronic parched feeling in the mouth, thickened saliva, bad breath, lips that crack easily, a sore throat, difficulty with swallowing or speaking, and/or a diminished sense of taste.
Dry mouth is characterized by diminished saliva flow, which can be caused by a variety of factors, such as:
- Certain prescription and over-the-counter medications, such as anti-anxiety medications, decongestants, antihistamines, blood pressure medicines, medication to treat Parkinson’s disease, and more
- Nerve damage to the head or neck
- Chemotherapy drugs and radiation therapy
- The aging process
- Tobacco use
- Medical conditions, such as HIV/AIDS, diabetes, Sjogren’s syndrome, and others
The Damaging Effects
Good saliva flow is needed to wash away food particles and oral bacteria. When these substances aren’t sufficiently eliminated, the risk of tooth decay and gum disease can increase. The sense of taste and the ability to swallow can also be compromised when the mouth doesn’t produce sufficient saliva.
The Road to Improved Oral Health
When you visit Monument Smiles, Dr. Cheloha will examine your smile and discuss your symptoms. Some therapies to alleviate the discomfort and damage of dry mouth may include:
- Avoiding sugary or acidic beverages
- Chewing sugarless gum
- Decreasing the consumption of caffeinated beverages
- Eliminating tobacco use
- Sipping water throughout the day
- Using a room humidifier
Dr. Cheloha and our team will work with you to develop a treatment plan that addresses your unique needs and puts you on the path to a healthy smile.
Call today to schedule an appointment.