DIAGNOdent Laser Detects Even the Smallest Lesions
The DIAGNOdent laser is changing dental examinations around the world.
Dentists and hygienists can detect hidden caries with the help of the device’s accurate reading of fluorescence. This is helpful, because early detection means more of the natural tooth can be saved.
The DIAGNOdent laser helps the process by scanning a tooth and measuring it for laser fluorescence, which is visible or invisible radiation that certain substances emit when exposed to external radiation. The laser then displays a visual reading of the value. A clean and healthy tooth structure will show little or no fluorescence and produce low scale readings on the display. Carious tooth structure will show fluorescence, depending on the degree of decay, which will produce high scale readings on the display.
“The DIAGNOdent laser provides an accurate detection of caries,” said Dr. Gary Cheloha, who uses the device at his Scottsbluff dental office, Monument Smiles. “Due to the device’s ability to notice sub-surface cavities, we now have greater confidence in treating these hidden caries.”
The DIAGNOdent laser is proven 90 percent accurate, allowing dentists to detect and treat a disease accordingly.
The device offers many other benefits, including:
- Early detection of pathological changes in teeth- A fast and painless examination detects changes that cannot be diagnosed with traditional examination methods
- Provides a supplement to minimally invasive procedures- the DIAGNOdent laser is ideal for use in addition to air abrasion and micro rotary instruments
- Reliable measurement of caries- permits the quantification of caries activity over time by providing an exact measurement
- No X-ray exposure- the device allows a precise measurement, without the need of exposing a patient to an X-ray
- Increases patient acceptance and satisfaction- boosts patients and operator (dentist or hygienist) confidence in treatment decisions with the help of visual and acoustic methods that display values to the dentist and the patient.
Suspicious looking teeth can increase doubt about further treatment options. The laser erases these doubts by determining if the teeth should in fact be opened and treated for caries.
The DIAGNOdent laser is also available in the compact pen form, allowing dentists and hygienists to get the same precise results with increased mobility. It can help eliminate some of the fear and uncertainty that are sometimes associated with a visit to the dentist, making the road to a healthier smile a little easier.